Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What's wrong with California?

Wasn't there a time when California was the most progressive state in the Union? (And yes, I read progressive to mean least religious.) I have always enjoyed the thought that California was different than the rest of the country. More tolerant, more open to new ideas and attitudes. I liked the thought of the rest of the country rolling their eyes at those crazy Californians, it fuels my anti-establishment bent.

After Prop 8 embarrassingly passed, I knew that time passed as well. But still, we at least had to be one of the top 10, right? Nope, at least according to the poll from last January. Sad.

On the bright side, being outside the top 10 keeps the evangelists off your back. It seems New England is being flooded with missionaries. My favorite quote:
Joe Souza, a Southern Baptist missionary working north of Boston. "It's like, you found a cure for cancer and you want to give it away and nobody wants it."

Yep, it's just like that Joe. Have fun New England!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Out Campaign: Scarlet Letter of Atheism